2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:47 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Sunk the brute today...
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:10 pm 

My Ride: '08 Brute Force 650i
Don't you just hate it when the trail drops too suddenly?

Anyways, got it back home, ripped it all apart and pulled the plugs, drain the CVT and flushed the oil 3 times while turning it over and it finally looked fairly clear so I started it up (took a bit of cranking), but she idled rough and then after 5 minutes or so, water stopped coming out of the exhaust and she was idling ok. When i gave it throttle it was a little rough but it seemed like power was there, I am assuming it was just because the complete airbox was off so the air to fuel mixture was off?

My question is, what is the best next step from here? I will probably flush it 2-3 more times and replace the oil filter. When I took off the CVT cover, there was dirt everywhere, so I will have to clean that off, but is that it?

Anything else I should look into?

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24 am 

My Ride: 08 Brute 650I
This may help .....

First things first. DO NOT TRY TO CRANK IT UNTIL YOU ASSESS THE DAMAGE!
Secondly, DO NOT TRY TO CRANK IT UNTIL YOU ASSESS THE DAMAGE!
Once you sink the bike, remove the dipstick and take a gander. Fully milked? Pouring out when the dipstick is removed? Dont crank it. Tow it back to the trailer and load her up. You don't want to cause more damage that may already be there.

Hopefully, with these simple steps, you'll be back up in no time. You need to clean the bike as soon as possible.
The longer water and moisture stay inside the greater chance rust will form on the internal engine parts. (BAD!)

Supplies:

oil - cheap house brand oil $4.97 for 1 gallon jug stuff. Get at least 2 gallons.

oil filters (cheap Fram PH6607)

Can of Seafoam (or Marvel Mystery Oil)

*** Note*** People suggest a lot of stuff to run through the crankcase after a sinking - from diesel fuel to transmission fluid.
I'm sorry but I'm not running anything in the crankcase other than oil and a water removing additive so this article will not cover the use of those fluids!

Steps:

Drain Oil, Remove Spark plugs, Inspect air box and remove the air filter. Look down the intakes. If there is water in there it will be best to turn the bike on its back end and let the water drain out of the intakes and out the tailpipe (this might be best to do right before you load it up on the trailer after you sink it) Alternatively, you can suck the water out of the intakes with a shop-vac. Be sure to thoroughly clean out the air box.

If you have a carbureted model, drain the carb bowls. I like to pour 1/2 oz of Seafoam down each intake.

Now that oil is drained and plugs are removed, turn the bike over a few times to clear the water (if any) from the the top of the pistons.

Put spark plugs back in and refill with oil. Leave enough room so that 3oz's of Seafoam can be added in the oil.

Try to start the bike. If it starts, run it for 30 seconds. While running, shake the bike from side to side to slosh the oil around inside.

If the bike does NOT start, you may have low compression from seized rings on the piston. A capful of oil (about 15ml) in each combustion chamber should free them and get the compression up. This can be added thru the spark plug hole. If you have a carbureted v-twin you can add in in the carbs but the spark plug route seems much easier and much more direct. Once the oil is in, put the plugs in and turn the bike over. Give it full choke and spray starting fluid if needed. The bike should now start.
Another reason the bike could not start (especially a Brute) is the rollover sensor (Engine Down Sensor in the manual). When you key on, you should hear the fuel pump kick on for approx 2.5 seconds. If not this is likely the culprit. It can be reset by keying on and off twice OR unplugging the unit, giving it a shake or two, then putting it back on in the correct orientation. Make sure the up arrow is pointing the right way. Once reset, you should hear the pump kick on. You might also have the FI light flashing. This should fix that.

Once the bike is able to run, its now time to start the repetitious draining and refilling of oil. With each change, add 3oz of Seafoam and run the bike for 2 minutes between each change. Change the filter every other draining.

Repeat Step 5 until oil is clear (check via dipstick). Don't forget the Seafoam each time!

Once oil is totally clean take the bike out and ride it for an extended period of time (30 minutes or so). This gets the bike heated and any remaining moisture is evaporated out and evacuated through the crank case vent.

After riding in step 7, refill with oil of choice and replace with better filter. (purolator L14612 is a high quality filter)

Some things to note
- your bike may smoke lightly after sinking. Most of the time this goes away. It can be from a combination of water left in exhaust, Seafoam burning off, or residual oil from freeing up the piston rings. 9 times out of 10 it will stop smoking.
- If you sank the bike in creek water your engine will likely be ok. If you sank it in mud, a rebuild at some point is inevitable.

Cdi dyna tech
Diamond G racing tierods
2500 lb warn winch
custom made HDPE Skid plates and a-arm guards
Front storage box Mod
Etrex Gps
5 ft easy mount plow[/b]

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:39 am 

Thanks BrutemanAl.

I have done most of that except the seafoam part, I will probably do a another few oil changes today or tomorrow to get some more out, and then every couple days for the next two weeks.

What is the best way to clean out the CVT transmission? All sorts of mud and gunk in there....

Unread postPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:56 am 

My Ride: 2012 BF750
BrutemanAL had the right info.

You can run whatever, diesel, kerosene, etc through your engine but I sure as hell would never do it. For what it's worth, I'm a Maintenance & Reliability Planner, and know a thing or two about Reliability Best Practices...and a little about oil analysis.

You're far better off going through $30-40 of walmart oil and filters, and then when it's completely draining clean, switch back to the proper oil for it. A quad engine will not burn off some of the detergents, and some of the additives in the average 10W30 that have no place in a small CC engine.

The best way to get your CVT clean again is to take it apart, and wash it with warm soapy water, then rinse the hell out of it, and make sure it's dried properly. Remove the secondary, take it apart, clean it and regrease it. You can wash the entire CVT area with warm soapy water and a soft scrub brush without hurting anything, and likewise rinse it well, and make sure it's dried before putting it back together.

There will be 1000's of people that will tell you to use diesel, and there will be the same people telling you that doing it right is overkill. It's your machine, and your choice.

2011 KLX110
1985 LT230
1986 LT160
gone but still loved...2006 Prairie 700, 2008 BF750i, 2009 Teryx 750
I don't list all the mods, but unless I supercharge the V Force, I've run out of things to do to it or bolt on to it.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:04 am 

I agree , I would never run diesel through my engine , I have sunk my bike 2 times and always ran cheap/used oil through it to flush all the water out , last time it was 7 oil changes , might also want to drain and flush your diff's a few times .

Cdi dyna tech
Diamond G racing tierods
2500 lb warn winch
Front storage box Mod
Etrex Gps
5 ft easy mount plow[/b]

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:11 pm 

So, I got the bike all cleaned and put the important stuff back together. Took it for a quick rip around to slosh the oil around to flush it again. In doing this I noticed the bike has about half the normal power as before. It idles well, and revs nice in neutral, but not nearly as much power in gear.

I checked spark on both cylinders and it seems fine. I pulled the carburetors out tonight and will clean them tomorrow. Other than this, and potentially bad gas, is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:44 am 

is it possible you got water in the gas ? I usually drain the gas tank also when that happened in the past .

Cdi dyna tech
Diamond G racing tierods
2500 lb warn winch
Front storage box Mod
Etrex Gps
5 ft easy mount plow[/b]

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:44 am 

Initially I didn't think I did as it idled so well. But I suppose becaUse there is no load on the engine? I am going to clean the carbs and then drain the gas today - so typical that I sink it with a full damn tank LOL.

Is there any easy way to drain it?

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:55 am 
Gold Card Member

My Ride: 2009 Polaris 800 EFI
Match ? :wink:

just siphon.... just stick a small hose in it, put thumb over one end give it quick jerk and let thumb off into gas can... :)

Good luck....

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:55 am 

CRASHER wrote:
Match ? :wink:

just siphon.... just stick a small hose in it, put thumb over one end give it quick jerk and let thumb off into gas can... :)

Good luck....

Ok I'll give that a shot, never tried that before.... I usually drink too much of whatever I'm siphoning LOL

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:34 pm 

My Ride: 2012 BF750
I didn't re-read the whole thread to see how long it was under water, but it's amazing how much water comes through the vent lines. Draining the carbs is important too. A little SeaFoam goes a long way, but too much of it makes it run rough also.

Good luck getting it ready for the weekend...I wish I could ride tomorrow.

2011 KLX110
1985 LT230
1986 LT160
gone but still loved...2006 Prairie 700, 2008 BF750i, 2009 Teryx 750
I don't list all the mods, but unless I supercharge the V Force, I've run out of things to do to it or bolt on to it.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 pm 

So I have cleaned the carbs, and put in fresh gas, new spark plugs, new air filter and it still has power loss. It seems like it has no low end at all.

I am out of ideas, anyone have any other suggestions? I am starting to get annoyed.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:42 am 

emonts wrote:
So I have cleaned the carbs, and put in fresh gas, new spark plugs, new air filter and it still has power loss. It seems like it has no low end at all.

I am out of ideas, anyone have any other suggestions? I am starting to get annoyed.

Pulled the carbs again and found that single spec of dirt. Thanks for the help guys!