2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:01 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Running Hot?
Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:36 am 

My Ride: '05 Sportsman 500HO
I was out earlier this week and had to travel the road for a bit. After getting to the head of the trail and shutting down ( I left electrics on because when I came to the rest stop I heard fan running) The HOT and Check Engine indicators came on. I left the machine powered on until the fan shut off and kept an eye on things. The rest of the trip was completely uneventful in that regard. The front of the rad looked a bit dirty...I have since cleaned this as best i could.

Today while running out to the edge of the property the fan came on and has been on pretty constantly since ( the run was less than 15 or 20 minutes), and upon returning it's still running, although no warning lights came on. Ahhh, there...fan just turned off.

I guess - this being only my first year of owning an ATV, I'm not sure if this is what I should expect or if I should be looking for a problem. Rad fluid is were it should be. Does the fan run pretty constantly in warm weather? In the first instance, the road running, I guess I was revving a bit high in the low 6,000 range. Todays little sortie wasn't all that stressful and relatively low speeds and stress...

Post subject: Re: Running Hot?
Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:24 pm 

My Ride: 2015 Pursuit Camel
05 sportsman has rad in terrible location.
I bet it is packed with dirt (no matter what you think it currently looks like).
You need to remove it from bike and clean every single individual itty bitty slot.
Yes it will likely take 6 hours (option is to work 6 hrs of OT, buy a new rad and a couple of cases of beer and throw the old 1 in the garbage).

Then, if you want to keep it clean, put it on the front rack.

when you push them down the stairs

GLATV member

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:25 pm 

My Ride: 2012 Polaris
I went out today and got stuck a few times and noticed how hot my bike was getting, made me think of this thread.
I have to agree with Mustang, try giving your rad a thorough cleaning to see if it solves your hot bike issue.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:26 am 

My Ride: 2015 Pursuit Camel
Actually the 2012 rad is in an excellent location.
It still needs to be cleaned, but will not likely be packed right to the core with mud.

when you push them down the stairs

GLATV member

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:38 pm 
Gold Card Member

My Ride: 2009 Polaris 800 EFI
Yup, I recommend anyone with a pre 2011 polaris need to have a rad relocate to the front rack.

I had a brand new 2009 polaris and on my 4th ride she overheated, i cleaned it 4 times and my

next ride, 20 minutes in she overheated again. This continued for the next 8 rides till i finally took

my rad out to relocate it and found how dirty it was in the parts you cannt see.

Since I relocated it, its never had a problem.

You can buy a kit or make your own bracket and buy some hose.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:11 am 

My Ride: '05 Sportsman 500HO
I have seen quite a few....a lot actually....of ATV's with the rad relocated to the front rack. Since there is an electric fan already...has anyone thought to relocate the rad to the back? I have a 2-up seat there, but a pair of brackets behind the seat. If you're extending the hose anyways.... and a brush/crash guard over top.

I imagine with any relocate there would need to be added coolant beyond stock.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:47 am 

My Ride: 07 Rincon, 07 TRX420
There are coolant additives you can add that make the heat transfer more efficient, I use Redline Water Wetter but imagine all are the same. Every little bit helps when your rad is clogged.

TWO 06 TRX250EXs (red)...........Tusk nerf bars, one with White Brothers skid plate, AC Racing swing arm skid plate
85 TRX125 (red)......................1 7/8" chrome trailer ball

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:33 pm 

My Ride: 07 King Quad 700
Ya, my father in law has the same machine and had same issues. He always thinks the rad is clean because he spends a long time washing it. like an hour just on the rad. we put his rad up top and when we took it out he was shocked how plugged it was. best to remove it and soak it for a night then rinse it, and repeat until it is clean. then put up top. in front would be best to let air flow thru on its own, fan will hardy come on then.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:31 pm 

My Ride: ....
I know with my 04.5 500 the fan shroud was right tight to the rad. What I did, was to place a couple of washers between the shroud and the rad to move it back about an 1/8 of an inch. You would be surprised as to how this helped out. With it tight, it doesn't allow any type of flow period. Also, when washing the rad, slide the shroud back from the rad to allow flow.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 pm 

My Ride: 2010 outty max
we only run and recommend to any customers to use Engine Ice. Its $20 a jug from Royal and most bikes take under 2 jugs with sxs's taking more. Rad relocates if you wanna play in mud are a must or expect overheating issues. RDC make the strongest kits and are a cheap way to eliminate the issues of clogged rads. I have seen rads relocated at the rear but they are less efficient than mounting on the front rack.

2010 500ish Outlander XTP....The Black Pearl...wifes race bike. FFS Custom Built with Turners Performance loving.

2xhawkeyes...kids bikes..modded...YUP!!!

FFS Racing
http://www.fixnfabshop.ca/