2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:09 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 am 

Here is my problem. Lights turn on and off, my cluster flickers on and off and I cant start by turning the key. Do i got a bad ground, lose wire or is it something bigger. I think the cable on the left side on the handle bar might be the problem but not sure. Anything I should look at. Battery is new. I did put in a new starter solinoid.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:33 pm 

Sounds similar to issues I had. Changed the ECM and solved the problem. ECM is expensive so check all options first.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 pm 

where is the ECM located on the bike I heard that a few times and what does a new one cost. Thanks for the help

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:21 pm 

Remove the front rack and pull off the plastic. It's a little smaller than a cigarette pack. I am lucky enough to live near the US border and I picked mine up for about $250. I think the price I was quoted locally was about $400. Good Luck.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:05 am 

My Ride: 2011 Polaris 850 2Up
We have a 2004 Polaris ATP and have had a similar problem in the past. We found that in the Headlight Pod where all the wires go we have had numerous cracked wires and have had to repair them and shrink wrap the new connection. Lights flicker, dash goes in and out and ignition won't work have all been traced to a cracked, corroded wire.

Check this first. Wires seem very brittle on this model.

Dave

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:09 am 

Ok once it warms up abit I will pull this stuff off and check wires. Now for checking these wires do you need to strip the coating off in order to see anything or would it be at the plug ends. I'm not every mechanicaly inclined and my luck isn't that great when doing this stuff lol Would it be a good idea to see if the ECM is a recall on my bike first and get that changed if it is and see what happens from there.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:13 am 

My Ride: 2011 Polaris 850 2Up
What we did was take the pod apart, three screws seperates the pod, take head light out, you have to back off the head light adjustment nut to get it out but it's easy. Now try and start the bike and wiggle the wires. We found slight cracks in the coating where the corrosion sets in and they were fairly visible.

What happens is from the extensive turning of the handle bars it works the wires and if it gets a sliight crack in the coating, it will corrode there and eventually break. Kinda off a greeny white glob around the crack. Also check your connections at any plug ends. Have found over the years they corrode too.

Not sure about the ECM. We've had our 2004 since new and used it everday for surveying work. Had probably four or five cracked wires over the years.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:49 am 

Ok thanks Dave I will try this out and see what happens. Thanks for your help