2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:59 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:26 am 

My Ride: '05 Sportsman 500HO
Was out riding today and found a beauty of a mudhole...deceptively deep...and it sucked me in real good. After winching myself out, I had very little forward (or backward for that matter) ground speed. After a few minutes in low range, and varying the throttle, I could feel the belt biting again. Pull back in at the house I pulled the drain plug from the belt cover and got a bunch of black liquid out of it. I assume a combination of water and belt residue. After allowing all the water to drain out, and a brief bit of down time for a snack we too to the trails again, and the bike felt fine again.

Is this normal - loss of drive due to water? I don' t usually go looking for deep water or mud, but don't recall this from last year. Should the belt cover be watertight? I'm thinking as I haven't done it this year yet, that I'm due for a belt anyways, but the water in the belt cover thing...?

Steve

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:49 am 

My Ride: 08 Brute 650I
Same thing happened to a buddy of mine this past weekend while riding in gooderham , had to stop 2 times to drain a small amount of water out of his belt housing , he said he usually puts a small amount of silicone around the edge of the belt housing every year and this year while getting the bike ready for the riding season he decided not to put silicone around it to see how it would be , he is going back to putting a small amount around it . He is not sure where the water is leaking in from , but if you can keep the water out it is allot better , last year he had to put new clutches in after a ride because he got so much water and sand in it on a ride it destroyed the clutches . You could also have a screw or 2 loose that hold the cover on , doesnt hurt to check them every now and again.

Cdi dyna tech
Diamond G racing tierods
2500 lb warn winch
custom made HDPE Skid plates and a-arm guards
Front storage box Mod
Etrex Gps
5 ft easy mount plow[/b]

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:41 am 

My Ride: 2011 Polaris 850xp
Quote:
Is this normal - loss of drive due to water? I don' t usually go looking for deep water or mud, but don't recall this from last year. Should the belt cover be watertight? I'm thinking as I haven't done it this year yet, that I'm due for a belt anyways, but the water in the belt cover thing...?

If you get the belt wet she's gonna slip. Might have glazed the belt if you were pinning it to get out. Once out of the hole put your wheeler in neutral and rev her up to help dry the belt. Silicon belt housing,or if you were really deep water might have come in through the intake or exhaust for the belt housing.

You got to pay to play.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:33 pm 
Assistant Senior Moderator

My Ride: '09 Rzr-S H.O.
Time to invest in some snorkels.... :grin::

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:02 pm 

My Ride: 2015 Pursuit Camel
the seals on the belt housing are all replaceable.
Your manual explains drying procedure once wet.

Drain, then rev in nuetral for awhile to dry

when you push them down the stairs

GLATV member

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:05 pm 

I was in DEEP water...I couldn't see the top of the RF tire...27" MudLites. I don't usually get into this stuff but it snuck up on me. I was going to change the belt this weekend anyways...

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:13 pm 

My Ride: camel.
Silicone where the belt cover meets the transmission and engine. I use grease instead of silicone on the belt cover. It's a real pain to get off again if you do. Grease is cheap. Check to make sure the intake and exhaust snorks are seated properly too.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 pm 
Assistant Senior Moderator

My Ride: '09 Rzr-S H.O.
minimustangs wrote:
I was in DEEP water...I couldn't see the top of the RF tire...27" MudLites. I don't usually get into this stuff but it snuck up on me. I was going to change the belt this weekend anyways...

I'm like you... don't generally look for deep water or mud but... it never fails and instead of being caught with my proverbial pants down, I snorkled my Rzr S. It has come in handy.
I also silicone(grease) my belt housing and filter housing and have had zero issues.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:52 pm 

The inlet and outlet are under the fuel tank cover in front of your balls.
By your description you were at least 1.5 - 2 foot in depth from flooding the belt housing (your airbox will be full as well).
I run deep all the time and have never got a wet belt.
Polaris has an exceptional design in this matter.
You obviously need new seals, boots or have something broken

GLATV member

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:46 am 

My Ride: 2008 700 Grizzly
If you don't have snorkels, and you have not got the belt wet, you have not been all that deep

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:59 pm 

Deep is subjective.
Your opinion is wonderful but is not relevant in the contention that the OP got a wet belt when he was deep enough to submerge his front tires.
I get deeper than that all the time

GLATV member

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:45 pm 

My Ride: 2008 700 Grizzly
armpit deep ??

Post subject: Chin deep... (long)
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:29 am 

Well.... Another interesting adventure yesterday...a lot of fun and troubleshooting at the same time. previously on "This Ol' ATV...."

You'll recall that I had trouble after running though some water. Yup. Well I did take heed in what people said, although I didn't do much about it, so a big thumbs down for me. Go ahead...I know you want to LOL.

Back to my first wet belt post. I had been in water that would have caused this to occur many times before, but didn't have a problem then....so I guess that's what prompted my first post. Reading through the replies about seals and silicone and such, I never took the belt housing off previously, so when I did this time I noticed there wasn't a seal or residue, just the metal and plastic surfaces mating together.

So, if it was like that before, why am i having this problem now? The only thing I can think is that when it was in for service they forgot to put the gasket or seal back on? That doesn't make much sense either, because i was in deep water on the Kearney ATV ride after that service, and didn't have this problem. Not that any of that matter, just throwing all the facts out there.

=====

So a few times yesterday we hit some water. Not overly deep, but still cause the loss of drive etc. I tried where possible avoiding water to spare whatever was happening from re-occurring. In doing that - trying to avoid the water I ended up going swimming...literally up to my chin. We were crawling atop an embankment when a sink hole sucked in the front wheel. It was a LMAO moment for all. But huge problems afterwards since there was more water than we knew what to do with. This is why you don't go riding alone.

I'll pause so you can stop laughing...

OK...Anyways...

So.... once we dried off and righted the ATV we need a winch out and I had problems starting (it started...I was shocked, but wouldn't run in high) the bike it didn't want to idle - it would, just not in gear...it would stall. Eventually we got it started in High and launched....About 20 minutes into our ride home the bike was running fine...liked running quick vs. slow.

After being wet this time ( pulled the drain plug out and let the water FLOW out.... there was a clanging kind of sound...pretty sure coming from the front clutch. Just about to open it up and see whats going on. Wanted to post this to get some responses about these two issues now... between peels of uncontrollable laughter.... Oh yeah G/F was so soaked... there was.... :tits:

All was not too lost...

SO... The problems I encountered yesterday are 3:

1/ Taking on water. I know what I have to look for here.
2/ Clang-ity clang sound from belt/front clutch area. Probably find out more about this when I pop belt cover off.
3/ Oh yes...almost for got this. After I would run through water and drive would start to go away I would get the chewck engine / HOT light to come on. If I shut bike off and fired it back up (right away) ... no HOT light. I thought fan wasn't working but it came on as usual when we parked at home. Bike was strong on the way home as mentioned...liked going fast.

FWIW, bike started perfectly this morning; it's sitting on deck waiting for me to get to work on it.

One other tid bit that my riding partner reminded me about just now. Last year I had a peculalar run in with a downed tree limb. Instead of climing over it, somehow (possibly because it was wet) it slid under the neath the bike between left tire and rad and up to who knows were. Made a gawd awful sound and stalled the bike, but haven't found any issues...unless this leaking water this is that. I didn't notice any cracks in the belt cover when I took it off but I'll be looking at all of that today.... Anything else I should be looking at... damaged breakter tube maybe?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:12 pm 

Ok Item #1... a hole...as if something rubbed through the belt cover. Near the front, bottom. About 1/2" long and 1/8" across. Obviously no water seal with that there.
There is a rubber seal. I just didn't notice it...

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:19 pm 

You can try and seal up the housing with silicone and piece of plastic or buy a new/used one.
Is your belt frayed? U&sually this is what slashes through the housing and makes terrible noises

GLATV member

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 am 

No, the belt is not frayed. Actually its only has about 150km on it... I just replaced. it. I noticed a ding/dimple in the bottom of the belt cover. I used a propane torch to heat a reform the dimple so that its no longer out of shape, but i still have the hole. I have a friend who "welds" plastic...I'm going to see him this week.

As for the clanging noise, I've talked to a snowmobile racer friend and he's looked and says the clutch is worn... buttons are worn. So thats where I'm at with that.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:07 pm 

My Ride: 2010 outty max
dont feel bad about worn out clutches...polaris can be bad for them and i"ve had several 500's in for new clutches and have a 2011 in right now for a new one.
many times a full service and replacing the bearing and machining the sheaves can be cheaper but all depends on machine shop availability.
as for ya belt housing...sounds like at some point a belt has frayed as said above...they blow a hole thru the plastic REAL fast and i had too patch mine up a few times. Plastic welding a patch on is best way.
defo seal up your housing and if the clutches are off pull the inner housing off and re seal it as they leak like a sive on older bikes. Double check all the intake/exhaust pipes and rubber connectors as the sportsmans are also bad for the boot that connects the CVT exhaust/intake for perishing and allowing water in that way.
if you have had water in your CVT housing a few times now your clutches will defo need a good cleaning as it can do a lot of hidden damage to all the moving parts in there.

good luck!!

2010 500ish Outlander XTP....The Black Pearl...wifes race bike. FFS Custom Built with Turners Performance loving.

2xhawkeyes...kids bikes..modded...YUP!!!

FFS Racing
http://www.fixnfabshop.ca/

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:11 am 

Well I managed to hack up an old Folgers can into strips and plastic "weld" my belt housing. Water added to the inside of it over the course of a few days showed no sign of transferring to the outside of the housing. Just waiting now it re-install it.

My clutch is still making that klang-ity-klang sound - I didn't expect it to go away, just sayin'.
An backyard mechanics in Muskoka who could do whatever it needs to silence it?

Is it safe to ride making that noise or is it going to grenade on me?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:41 am 

Well the final chapter on this is that I installed a CV Tech Trailbloc clutch a couple weeks ago. Last week I managed to get out and do some riding and found - inadvertently - a Really Good Hole for the true acid test of both my clutch and leak problem.

I am happy to report that with a little bit of winch persuading I manage to drive out, which if you read the original post was the problem. So looks like the leak is repaired...even though it was a lot bigger than I had expected.

The one screw was completely missing...who knows where it went and how long it was gone for., the other screw wasn't doing much since the hole in the flange was worn.

I would have never found this if I hadn't pulled the clutch. I can check this on a regular basis now, hopefully avoiding problems and costly replacement parts.

***Have no idea where my images went???

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:42 pm 

glad to hear

GLATV member