2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:03 pm 

My Ride: 07 Rincon, 07 TRX420
This is from another site:

i know alot of you ppl get your hands on a new atv..and the first things you wanna do..is slap some big ass aggressive tires on it..thinking alright..now i can tackle any mud hole !!!..think again !!..yes...you will get through it..maybe ??..maybe not ??....i say this..because alot of you ppl don't think about what your doing to your atv. when they designed these bikes..they put a certain size tire on it for a reason...and that was to get it to not only ride smooth...but to handle the horse power and tranny that the machine was made for. i've said it once..and more than likely..i'll probally keep saying it...DO NOT OVER LOAD YOUR ATV WITH LARGE TIRES !!..when you go and slap some huge tires on your brand spanking new machine..or used for that matter....you are putting alotttttttt of strain on your tranny..front differental..and rear differental !!!. i see sooooooo many ppl come on here..and the first thing they ask us is..i'm getting a clunking sound from the front or rear of my atv..what do you think is wrong with it ??. well..i'll tell you what is wrong with it....either they..or the owner before them..stuck some large ass tires with agressive lugs on the bike..and they road the crap outta it..over working the tranny..or differentals !!!..in other words..when you put large tires with huge lugs on your atv..your straining your ring gear..axle..pinion gear..and all of your bearings !!!..the machine simply can not handle this kinda stress !!!....sooooo..you strip your ring gear..pinion gear..axle out when you put too large of a tire on your atv !!..now..i don't care myself what size of a tire you put on your atv...why you ask ??..because..when you break your atv..and then bring it too me to fix..i'm gonna smile all the way to the bank with your cash for fixing it !..trust me...it won't be cheap for you to get it fixed !!..don't believe me ?..call a dealership..and ask them what a ring gear..pinion gear..and axle will cost !..not to mention the labor charge they are gonna slam you with !..soooo..now you have it..you have been warned..THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU SLAP THOSE ZILLA'S OR SILVERBACKS ON THAT NEW MACHINE !

TWO 06 TRX250EXs (red)...........Tusk nerf bars, one with White Brothers skid plate, AC Racing swing arm skid plate
85 TRX125 (red)......................1 7/8" chrome trailer ball

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 am 

Well..............this is news to me :rofl:

A little dramatic but nothing any of us don't already know and have already replaced.........more than once. :scratch: Wanna play ya gotta pay........oldest saying in the toyland notebook.........

electronic rear view camera (very cool)
skid plate
removed front swaybars, rears are loose
27x12x9 zilla's all four corners

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:35 am 

My Ride: 2014 Outy Max 800
He must be tired of the stupid look his customers faces when he has to explain it over and over again :pissed: :ohfuck:

He does have a point; when buying big tires, leave money in your budget for the extra maintenance and repair before maxing out on tire size.

Can Am Heated Grips
Tires and more coming :)

Sold 2008 Camo Grizz 700
Hairy Back
Sold 400 Outy and 8x8 Argo
http://www.youtube.com/user/mtnbikehead ... rid&view=0
Sold Shack on Haliburton Lake

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:28 pm 

I've run big tires for a long time and never done in a tranny/diff. The odd axle joint here and there from torn boots but that's about it. If you know how to ride I'd say the majority have minimal damage.
And then there's the ones where you sit back and watch the show, these guys also know what there doing.........but don't care. There the ones with spare axles back at home for the next weekends ride. :confused:

skid plate

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:46 am 

I'm with flash.
Been riding on bigger tires since 2000.
Only axle I ever broke was before that on stockers...& it was 100% my fault :???:

I think bigger is subjective...whats bigger...26-27s....30s...or even bigger :confused:
You run 26 or 27s & unless your brain is not connected to your right thumb you'll have no problems.
IMHO anyway :wink:

04 Grizz sold good machine hard on wheel bearings
04 Bomb sold POS
00 Cat sold good machine
89 Suz 4x sold good machine
couple Hondas sold
Argo sold

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:53 am 

look at the new can am already modded and ready for mud right off the showroom floor. They didn't change anything in the drivetrain for it.

skid plate

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:59 pm 

flash 800 wrote:
look at the new can am already modded and ready for mud right off the showroom floor. They didn't change anything in the drivetrain for it.

Doesn't the XMR come with Gorilla axles??? I'd call that a change.

TWO 06 TRX250EXs (red)...........Tusk nerf bars, one with White Brothers skid plate, AC Racing swing arm skid plate

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 am 

Ballast wrote:
flash 800 wrote:

Yaa, so it is. Thought I remembered people complaining last year that it was the same axles. Must be thinking of something else.

skid plate

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:14 pm 

the one ride I went on with an XMR...and guess what, he broke a front right axle...lol

Front and Rear Pure Polaris Brush Guards
Front and Rear Pure Polaris Lock N Ride Boxes
Glacier II 60" Plow system
3500 lbs Polaris Winch

2006 Yamaha 660 Rhino
14" ITP SS Rims
26" Terra Cross Radial Tires
Roof, windshield, fender flares, 4000lb winch

1999 Yamaha 350 Big Bear SE
**FOR SALE**

2007 Honda Rincon 680 SOLD
2005 Kawi Brute Force 750 SOLD
2004 Kawi KFX 400 SOLD

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:09 pm 
Gold Card Member

My Ride: '12 Outlander 1000xt
flash 800 wrote:
I've run big tires for a long time and never done in a tranny/diff. The odd axle joint here and there from torn boots but that's about it. If you know how to ride I'd say the majority have minimal damage.
And then there's the ones where you sit back and watch the show, these guys also know what there doing.........but don't care. There the ones with spare axles back at home for the next weekends ride. :confused:

Are you talking about Steve...lol :rofl:

Race Team Member #2 - '12 Can Am Outlander 1000xt / 32" silverbacks on 14" aluminum TP lox

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:58 am 

that started out as a broken ball joint or tie rod didn't it? My shoe string fix would have lasted the whole day if Steve would have knock it down a notch but nooooooo he had to finish off the axle for a perfect day :cusser: . I miss those days, good times :band:

skid plate

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:13 am 

My Ride: 2010 outty max
i gave up leaving axles at home..i take spares with me now...but since toe 30"s went on my right thumb defo got disconnected from my brain :)

2010 500ish Outlander XTP....The Black Pearl...wifes race bike. FFS Custom Built with Turners Performance loving.

2xhawkeyes...kids bikes..modded...YUP!!!

FFS Racing
http://www.fixnfabshop.ca/

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:04 pm 

My Ride: Outlander 800XT Camo
XMR do not come with gorrila axles, they come with stock. I think quads look silly with dinky little tires, first thing I did to the Wife's was ditch the baby 25's and put on some 27's then a litle clutch work to compensate for no low gear and retain top end! Her 350 goes through almost everything my 800 goes through, I say almost cause if I was driving it would (more fat a$$ weight to throw to either side!) So with that said, no axle, tranny, wet clutch issues to date (over 4 years), replaced one after market (cheap) belt back to the original two years ago and no issues. We have been to Elliot Lake a few times, Mattawa, Muskoka, Niagara, Norfolk, Haldimand, Renfrew area, Pennsylvannia - where the 350 pulled my broken down CAN-AM off the mountain not once but twice! (I don't know why I admitted that!).

Oh, I have replace wheel bearing and ball joints which is likely do to tires, let's see $100 for parts, 3000 km's of dringing on 27's hmmm, yep I don't see a problem!

BRP HD Springs
CVTech Clutch
HMF Pipe

Wife's
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 350 IRS
27" Mud Bugs
2500 lbs Viper Classic
Full Snorkels
2mm Shim & Fixed plate mod #2

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:43 pm 

My Ride: my ride!
Ballast wrote:
flash 800 wrote:

Stock axles are what come on the XMR.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:04 pm 

My Ride: 04 400 Max XT BRP
Ballast wrote:
This is from another site:

i know alot of you ppl get your hands on a new atv..and the first things you wanna do..is slap some big ass aggressive tires on it..thinking alright..now i can tackle any mud hole !!!..think again !!..yes...you will get through it..maybe ??..maybe not ??....i say this..because alot of you ppl don't think about what your doing to your atv. when they designed these bikes..they put a certain size tire on it for a reason...and that was to get it to not only ride smooth...but to handle the horse power and tranny that the machine was made for. i've said it once..and more than likely..i'll probally keep saying it...DO NOT OVER LOAD YOUR ATV WITH LARGE TIRES !!..when you go and slap some huge tires on your brand spanking new machine..or used for that matter....you are putting alotttttttt of strain on your tranny..front differental..and rear differental !!!. i see sooooooo many ppl come on here..and the first thing they ask us is..i'm getting a clunking sound from the front or rear of my atv..what do you think is wrong with it ??. well..i'll tell you what is wrong with it....either they..or the owner before them..stuck some large ass tires with agressive lugs on the bike..and they road the crap outta it..over working the tranny..or differentals !!!..in other words..when you put large tires with huge lugs on your atv..your straining your ring gear..axle..pinion gear..and all of your bearings !!!..the machine simply can not handle this kinda stress !!!....sooooo..you strip your ring gear..pinion gear..axle out when you put too large of a tire on your atv !!..now..i don't care myself what size of a tire you put on your atv...why you ask ??..because..when you break your atv..and then bring it too me to fix..i'm gonna smile all the way to the bank with your cash for fixing it !..trust me...it won't be cheap for you to get it fixed !!..don't believe me ?..call a dealership..and ask them what a ring gear..pinion gear..and axle will cost !..not to mention the labor charge they are gonna slam you with !..soooo..now you have it..you have been warned..THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU SLAP THOSE ZILLA'S OR SILVERBACKS ON THAT NEW MACHINE !

Shadetree gets around doesn't he(his post right?).Kinda funny though that both the Honda Forums I frequent(he's on one of them) the majority of the bikes(I'd say close to 90%) on there are under 500 cc and strait axle.There's guys over there running 28's on 350's and lots of them
.I've got a 450 Foreman that my son stripped the back axle pretty much right after I installed 26" Mudlite XL's,but the tires weren't to blame.They probably finished it off,but they weren't to blameThe back axle is a crappy set-up as far as the axle splines are concerned.If you have an axle seal leaking(hard to tell because it doesn't leak oil) the water and mud can get right into the axle/crown gear splines.Mine had a 1/2" of mud in the left hand axle tube.I hadn't had it apart until it stripped and I had figured that those splines were lubed by the rear diff lube like a car diff.Not the case.The crown is sealed to the diff housing so the axle tubes have no oil in them like a car/truck.The axle/crown splines are just lubed with grease.Those splines will be getting checked fairly often now that I know how it is built.

My point is that unless these bikes are brand new and breaking parts with bigger wheels then I would suggest that there already was weak or worn parts and the bigger tires just finished then off sooner.They would've come apart anyway.Just my 2 cents.

Can-Am Max XT
27 " Mudlite XTR's on SS212's
Warn RT25

450 Honda Foreman
26" Mudlite XL's
Disc Brake Conversion
Rode hard and put away wet

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 pm 

^^^^^^ yes, this was a Shadetree opinion. Obviously I have gone moderately oversize on my machines but his opinion has some validity. Manufactures certainly have the option of installing more aggressive rubber but probably run the stock mild tires to minimize damage while on warranty. I believe in the "somethings gotta give" theory. I tires lose traction and spin nothing gets much loading. Upgrade the tires so they grip more loading goes to axles. Upgrade the tires and axles and more loading ends up in the differentials.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 am 

guess it all comes down to your wallet and thumb.

heavy thumb+big aggressive tires=wallet
sensible+big tires=fun

personalty im back to 26"/27" max on the machines we trail ride with......the race bikes......who cares.....ur gonna kick the crap outta them anyway...just make sure the wallet is full before ya start it!!

2010 500ish Outlander XTP....The Black Pearl...wifes race bike. FFS Custom Built with Turners Performance loving.

FFS Racing

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:06 am 

My Ride: 13 CanAm 1000XT Max
English wrote:
personalty im back to 26"/27" max on the machines we trail ride with......

Man that recent birthday you had has really changed your views.........settled you down a bit or made you grow up a bit! Lol

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:31 pm 

think its more keeping the race bike in top shape and having to fix all the other stuff i break has settled me down Mike..LOL

Now i have to just fix what L breaks in the pits..LOL

FFS Racing

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:39 pm 

My Ride: 04 400 Max XT BRP
Some people are just naturally good at breaking things.Wouldn't matter if it was stock or modded.I think it is definitely more how you use it.

Can-Am Max XT
27 " Mudlite XTR's on SS212's
Warn RT25

450 Honda Foreman
26" Mudlite XL's
Disc Brake Conversion
Rode hard and put away wet

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 pm 

My Ride: 2012 Polaris
I realize I'm resurrecting a old thread. but I had to ask..
On my Pol 550 XP.... In your opinion what would be the biggest that bike could handle? I bought it used and I think it's run 27s'' most of it's life. I'm guess I could go any bigger then that unless I moved up the an 800 if I wanted bigger wheel. rite?

Saw this pic on Facebook. I had to share.