2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:11 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:11 pm 

My Ride: 2011 Polaris 500ho
Well, Here I am again.. Have researched all season on what tire/rim package to get. I bought my popo this spring new so I never really had a firm idea on what I'd be riding etc... In my riding experiance I do 3/4 Haliburton trails and the rest in North bay/Burks falls area. Meaning - Hard pack. Lots of rock. Some deep mud. Snow/Ice - For ice fishing time. So... I'll be needing pretty much a all year round based tire. Early in the season i had my eyes on XTR Mud lites.. ended up seeing that they were NOT the tire for me. Paddles are not good for hardpack/road riding so i figured to just scrap that idea entirely. I have read hundreds of reviews saying Interco was the way to go. Swamp lite/Reptiles. I am about 90% Sure I will be purchasing the Swamplites because strictly how affordable the package is at Royal Distrubuting, and how relyable they are on trail. The wear is also VERY good with them I hear. I will not be doing much road thrashing anymore so it souldnt be to to bad on wear. I expect a few seasons of ride on them before i have to upgrade again. I can get the setup for under a grand.. so why not? Now, I was really set on getting a 26" Tire because i didnt want my 500 to struggle TOO TOO much with the upgrade on weight and such... But then came to the realization that the only rim I wanted was only offered in a 14"... SO... I was limited to a tire size of 27" Minimum, unless i went with ITP SS Rims... Ew. I dont like over populated main stream fads so. I am going with the M15 Motosport rim. So. the setup I am 90% Positive im going with is 27" Swamplites. 11" Rear. 9" Front. on a 14" Motosport M15 Rim. I have done my research and i KNOW that all new popo's have the same frame and axels so i know they can withstand the weight and size. Its the 500cc motor im concerned about... I see people with my exact bike running 30"+ Zillas and such... A clutch kit may be purchased in the near future for next year I guess.. If i suspect extreme belt wear. Give me your input!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gorilla Axles
14" MotoSport M15 Rims.
Polaris 2.5 Winch w/ Synthetic rope.
K&N Intake
Bush guards

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:03 pm 

My Ride: 2014 Can Am 1000xt
I purchased a set of Swamplites this spring and also have 14 inch rims. Unfortunately I have not been able to ride to much on them this year. I have put maybe 500km on them and the only complaint I have is that they are not to stable above 60km (not hard to do on track beds). The front tires have a bit of a shimmy to them. Mine are 28's and have a very aggressive lug...I think 1 5/8 deep. They are very good in the few mudholes I got them in though! I read some reviews as well and the ones I read said they wear fast but the Zillas I wanted never showed up in time.

Garmin Montana 650
BRP Full skid plate
BRP Full-wrap hand guards
BRP Beadlock rims
Maxxis 27" Bighorns

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:50 pm 

My Ride: 2015 Pursuit Camel
I really like the XTR's.
I can't figure why you would think the swamplites have any advantage (other than they are bias ply and less money) over the XTR's when they are designed for the same type of riding.

Anyway, with the amount of rock up north and you wish to have a good hard pack tire, I would suggest Bighorns.

when you push them down the stairs

GLATV member

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:29 am 

My Ride: 08 Brute 650I
I would like to add that if you do any road riding in the winter , like plowing snow for neighbours or anything like that , unless you have access to a way to clean the rims in the winter , the salt and crap they put on the raods will eat away at the chrome rims . I have chrome rims on mine and do snowplowing around my house , my driveway and a few others , and the chrome is piited and flaking off them . From a distance they look good , up close the look like ass!!!! lesson learnt by meeeee ..... should have kept my stock tires and rims for winterplowing :pissed: :acro:

Cdi dyna tech
Diamond G racing tierods
2500 lb warn winch
custom made HDPE Skid plates and a-arm guards
Front storage box Mod
Etrex Gps
5 ft easy mount plow[/b]

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:58 am 
Gold Card Member

My Ride: 2009 Polaris 800 EFI
You mentioned the Reptiles but then went on to say you were going with the original Swamplites. I wanted Reptiles but they only went up to 27". They are an awesome all around tire and wear less then the swamplite.
I urge you to take a second look at them.

BTW ... I picked up 30" zillas and with my lift, my atv sits very very high. So for this reason and the fact that zillas seem to wear quickly with bit of road riding and hard pack trail riding, I will be buying Reptiles in the spring and keep my zillas for the deep stuff.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:51 am 

I like those reptiles. They look like a good tire. I'm going with those next.

electronic rear view camera (very cool)
skid plate
removed front swaybars, rears are loose
27x12x9 zilla's all four corners

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:27 pm 

Yeah, The zillas currently arent being sold in a package at royal. I will try and see if they will budge on a package price deal... And, yeah, i dont plow at all in the winter. the most i will be doing is running it on the lake, I will also have a heater to clean the bike off in the winter so i dont have ice sitting for weeks at a time. Thanks for the warning though with the chrome rims.. BTW - Any of you guys currently running Reptiles? ID LOVE to give them a shot considering the tread looks about the same but with a little bit more of a paddle, and you say the wear is a little less so, id like to know te difference if somone has ridden both.. Let me know

Gorilla Axles
14" MotoSport M15 Rims.
K&N Intake
Bush guards

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:40 pm 

My Ride: 13 CanAm 1000XT Max
Have heard great things about the reptile. I thought the consensus on the swamplites were they actually wore a little quicker than expected? :roll: Could be wrong though might be confused?

Radial Reptile would be my choice, I love my original Bighorns but they are not a real light tire? Tough as nails are great in the rocks and hard pack and do OK in the mud and snow.

:beer:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:28 pm 

My Ride: 2014 Outy Max 800
Swamplites are a fantastic soft condition tire; they throw mud like crazy, they dig in, they even airate lawns; only downfall I have found, is they wear fast on asphalt. It was mentioned that they wobble at high speeds; yeah, but I don't think they were meant for sustained high speeds....Those Can Am boys do like their high speeds, so if that is the case, get a full radial, Vampires or XTRs or Bighorns.

Can Am Heated Grips
Tires and more coming :)

Sold 2008 Camo Grizz 700
Hairy Back
Sold 400 Outy and 8x8 Argo
http://www.youtube.com/user/mtnbikehead ... rid&view=0
Sold Shack on Haliburton Lake

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:50 pm 

You guys make extremly valid points. I may want to actually get the reptiles becausethey are radials and I do tend to ride quite fast whenever there is flats. Also I will have to do some road riding I won't be able to entirly avoid it so the extra durability against ashfault is what I may want. Now as far as the m15 rims... I may pass on those aswell. The chrome may be a bad idea for the fact that I will be street riding to ice fish and such. I may just go with the flat black ss 102, 212 spoke rims.

Gorilla Axles
14" MotoSport M15 Rims.
K&N Intake
Bush guards

Last edited by Fourtyounce on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:08 pm 

My Ride: 07 King Quad 700
I have radial reptiles. I love them so far. But a few hundred kms on in the last month. Great traction. Yes they shimy at higher speeds but not too bad. they do fling the mud a lot too. and yes be careful on the lawns.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:59 pm 

Well, I ended up buying the kit i originally wanted. Got the 27" Swamp lites on 14" M15s... I built a kit at Royal but the price was a little to high for me. I was about to spend the 1200 on 27 reptiles with SS108 rims... Couldnt afford it. Got the swamps and m's for 1040$ Not bad IMO! Ill let u guys know how they ride this weekend in haliburton :grin: Thanks for all the help!!!! :boobies:

Gorilla Axles
14" MotoSport M15 Rims.
K&N Intake
Bush guards

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:58 pm 

Well, All i can say is I was leading the pack last weekend... People used my bike as the trial through the deep mud... The trails were an absolute mess!! Unreal traction though... Great tires... Thanks for all the help guys... Only got stuck once! :) BTW - the 500 DOES have enough power to push the wheels when barried in mud. May get a clutch kit for next spring though.

Gorilla Axles
14" MotoSport M15 Rims.
K&N Intake
Bush guards