2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 3:56 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:32 pm 

My Ride: 2013 Can-Am XMR 1000
Hi everyone,

Its been a long time since I was on here but we are at our wits end over my dads quad. And I'm sorry, but this is gonna be a long one...

It started very intermittently with the bike not starting. It would just whine over but if you turned off the key, then back on, it would start just fine. Over the years the bike has had the battery replaced maybe 4 or 5 times at Arctic Cat dealerships!

Recently, the bike just quit and wouldn't start at all. The shop replaced the ignition switch, battery and foot break switch (they said it was stuck on and killing the battery). They also said that the crank positioning sensor was gone. We took the bike back and it would start and run but it was not charging. It would run forever but when you shut it off, it would need to be boosted or the battery recharged before it would start again. We brought the bike back to the dealer, they assured us that the stator was gone and this was likely the reason the bike had been through so many batteries. We decided to go the cheap route and had them install a Kimpex stator. After installation we were informed that the Kimpex part was faulty. They installed a second Kimpex stator which they also claimed was faulty. The third stator went in, this time an Artic Cat part. They sent the bike home with us but the first time we tried to start it, it wouldn't start. Dead battery.

So far the machine has a new ignition switch, break switch, voltage regulator, and Arctic Cat stator. Finally we contacted Arctic Cat directly and they spoke with the dealership. Here is the text from an email my dad received from the dealership today...

Quote:
Good Morning Mr. Canning,

Just wanted to reach out and let you know where we are at with the ATV and working with Arctic Cat directly regarding it.

The Technician we have spoken with at Arctic Cat has reviewed our notes and what we have done to diagnose and repair the issues you are experiencing, and believe we are dealing with an internal draw that is being caused internally within the engine and starter system. Arctic Cat has informed us there are no other parts we can switch out to try to alleviate this.
The engine is going to need to be disassembled and torn down to determine where the internal draw is being caused.

We are currently awaiting to hear back from Arctic Cat to see if they will offer any kind of 'Goodwill' compensation towards the cost of tearing the engine down.

We will let you know what they have decided once we hear back from them.

Hope this information reaches you well.

Have a great day!

Doesn't sound like they are trying to rip us off or anything but I'm hoping for some advice or experience based tips. Can something inside the motor parasitically draw juice from the battery? Could there be a wiring harness issue causing this?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight that you guys can offer

videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/McBongSmokey?feature=guide

KATVA Member

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:52 pm 

My Ride: 2009 Yamaha 550 EFI/
Disassemble an engine to see what the electrical draw is? Makes you wonder. A good VOM in series with each circuit will definitely indicate where the power is going without having to do surgery. Unfortunately, Arctic Cat is one of those brands that doesn't instill any quality control in me.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:27 pm 

My Ride: yamahaha grizz 700
My buddys 700 Cat Had same issues Was Break in wiring harness Along frame rail Somewhere under the seat... can even rub on other wires Within the" bundle" !not just to the frame