2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:13 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: How much is too much!
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:58 pm 

My Ride: 2009 Can Am 650xtmax
Watched Dirtrax the other day, the UTV was 1000cc. Prowler. The guy driving this thing says he let off the throttle at 72 MPH because he was getting scared and there was even more throttle left over. You tell me, do we need a UTV or ATV that does this kind of speed and if you think you do then where in the hell would you use this speed??? This is what gives ATV's a bad name when someone gets hurt due to excessive speed. Imagine if that was you going down a trail and UTV or ATV comes at you at that speed. :ohfuck:
I say that its just wrong.

BRPFender Mud Guards
BRP Heated Hand Grips
BRP Soft Rear Storage Compartment
Garmin GPSMAP76

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:24 am 

My Ride: 08 750 King
Well sir, why do they make street bikes that can go 180km/h in first gear? Speed has always been an attraction to the human species. Hell my kingquad has been maxed out at 114km/h, do i need to go this fast no, and I don't get there too often. I don't imagine many people would have the skills to ride a machine at top speed through any trails. This would only be utilized on roads or potentially the rail trail, in both cases you risk getting caught speeding and reckless driving. You can't blame the machine for idiots who ride too fast, it all comes down to the rider, kind of like saying guns kill people. It all coems down to realizing their are situations you can hold it to the bar, and others you just poke along.

27 inch Zillas on ITP's

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:47 am 
Gold Card Member

My Ride: 2009 Polaris 800 EFI
MudBong wrote:
Well sir, why do they make street bikes that can go 180km/h in first gear? Speed has always been an attraction to the human species. Hell my kingquad has been maxed out at 114km/h, do i need to go this fast no, and I don't get there too often. I don't imagine many people would have the skills to ride a machine at top speed through any trails. This would only be utilized on roads or potentially the rail trail, in both cases you risk getting caught speeding and reckless driving. You can't blame the machine for idiots who ride too fast, it all comes down to the rider, kind of like saying guns kill people. It all coems down to realizing their are situations you can hold it to the bar, and others you just poke along.

Agreed, to both of you in a sense. Would it bug people if all atvs could only do 60km max?

I too have maxed out my Polaris which are geared lower for torque more then speed and it still did 107km/hr.. It was like WOW.. that was cool... but will I ever do it again.. probably not..
It is like anything else, people are gonna test the limits and if they cannt stick to their own limits they may get hurt. Unfortunately, yes , we all pay for it.

I think its a part of maturity of riding also... Sorta like when I was teenager and ripped around in my 1st car. After few years realized not only was it not safe but there is much to say about taking your time and being aware of whats around you. Not only as in other cars and people and such but also nature, things to see and the enjoyment of it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 pm 

My Ride: 2012 BF750
I can only speak for myself....but I don't have fun putting around...even leisurely trailriding....it's just not my style.

I like to ride hard and fast, whether it's trails, or mudriding or roadblasting. 60km/h wouldn't even be remotely fun.

I do however agree that they will just up and sell a 750/800 to anyone...whether they're capable of riding one or not. That's why people die.

2011 KLX110
1985 LT230
1986 LT160
gone but still loved...2006 Prairie 700, 2008 BF750i, 2009 Teryx 750
I don't list all the mods, but unless I supercharge the V Force, I've run out of things to do to it or bolt on to it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:16 pm 

My Ride: Honda @ Can Am
most of the places I tend to ride its not possible to break the 60km/hr threshold... no matter what you ride or how crazy you are

2007 Honda Rubicon CTE
2010 Can Am Outlander 800R XT

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:31 pm 

My Ride: 2009 Can Am 650xtmax
You guys are right, its that dreaded learning curve that we go threw, its like deer in rutting season i guess. Let just be happy that nothing happened to us during our excursions. Just a thought, would an atv being hit head on by a UTV be like a volks wagon beetle hitting a tractor trailer? :pissed:
Don't get me wrong, i love ripping down a straight trail but 70 mph!!! Man, thats hiway speeds... :crazy:

BRPFender Mud Guards
BRP Heated Hand Grips
BRP Soft Rear Storage Compartment
Garmin GPSMAP76

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:08 pm 
Gold Card Member

My Ride: 2009 Polaris 800 EFI
Here's where I got to try out my top speed. Highway not open yet.. :wasntme:
Attachment:
testinghighway.jpg

Trail would have to be very long and flat to do 108 km/hr on...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:28 pm 

My Ride: O8 Can-am 800XT
I love driving at 40km with the wind in my hair... I think I even hit 60km one time oh what a rush

See you on the trails...

#98 TURNER PERFORMANCE/ LITMMPRO PRODUCTIONS
HIS-Can-Am 800XT CAMO
Full Ricochet skids, A-arm guards, 30" SilverBacks, RDC Swamplocks, Gorilla Rad Relocate, HMF exhaust, SRG snorkel, SRG Clutch Kit, BRP HPG shocks front rear, HD springs front & rear, Renegade Footpegs,2inch lift, Heated H&T warmer

HERS-09 Can-am 800R Renegade
28" SilverBacks, 312 rims, SRG snorkeled,Gorilla Rad relocate, Yellow HMF Utility Exhaust, Daulton Clutch kit, Full Skids

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:20 pm 

My Ride: 2013 Polaris RZR
No worries for you guys that wipe out there will always be some one to scrap you off the ground poor you into to ambulance and take you to the hospital fix you up and put you right back into the mix of it all.

I like speed too but my bike only does 60 to 80 maybe if I dropped 150 pounds. lol

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:41 pm 

My Ride: 08 Ranger/09 Sportsm
the problem with these kinds of speeds is tires aren't generally up to that type of road speed. A blowout would have the potential of disaterous consequences.
Hower the laws of natural selection will kick in and the smartest of the species will survive.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 am 

Our new 800 does 72 MPH which I think is a little fast,but once I put my 27" tires on it's all perfect for me. I don't need to do any other mods to handle the tires and it's slowed it down a bit. I still have tonnes of bottom end torque. Will find out at the Swampdonkeys Mud Drags LOL

30" MUDZILLAS
RUBBERDOWN RAD RELOCATE
RICOCHET SKID PLATE

Unread postPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:31 pm 

My Sportsman will do 55mph. Only been that fast 3 time since 2004.

Would I like more speed? Sure I would!
Do I need it? Not really...But I would pay extra to have it!

My car will go 200 km/h but it will never see those speeds.
It all comes down to common sense. Just because you can dont mean I should.

Rubberdown Flame fairlead
WAY too many mods to list!

http://community.webshots.com/user/Rive ... =community

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:02 pm 

My Ride: '09 Polaris RZR
I agree with most of you. There are times when the speed comes in handy, but never on a trail system. P.S. The 55mph governor on this thing has got to go!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:36 pm 

My Ride: 2012 BF750
Something that I don't understand are your trail systems. It's apparent the difference in riding here and the riding there. I can go 100km and not see a single other person the entire time. It would be neat to come down there and experience that kind of thing, but I think it would be neater for "you" to come up here and experience what we have. You would need a local guide to even be able to experience a 100th of it, but there are many places here where you can safely rip around wide open and not see other people. Of course there are places where you have to slow down, and there's endless km's of mud riding, but there are no such thing as "trail" rules and trail cops harshing your mellow. Virtually everything is on crown land, and if the people care enough to post it private you can ditch bang around their boundary's and get back on the hydroline, pipeline or whatever kind of trail it was.

2011 KLX110
1985 LT230
1986 LT160
gone but still loved...2006 Prairie 700, 2008 BF750i, 2009 Teryx 750
I don't list all the mods, but unless I supercharge the V Force, I've run out of things to do to it or bolt on to it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:02 pm 

My Ride: '09 Polaris RZR
I'm up there every year toolman. I moose hunt around Kashabowe and spend my afternoons exploring the trails picking off bush chickens for dinner. Awesome country and you're absolutely right, rarely see another rider, especially on the bush trails. Of course, I'm usually only doing about 2 kph when I'm hunting.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:53 pm 
Site Sponsor

My Ride: 06 ltr 450
my ltr450( i know not a sxs) in race trim ran 12.86 at 101 mph int the quarter last year on "stock" atv tires. WAAAYY to fast for anytype of atv on low pressure tires!!! :wink:

#427 CSRA Pro/ Sport Vet
#427 CMRC Vet 30+ Quad

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:19 pm 

fmrjpr wrote:
the problem with these kinds of speeds is tires aren't generally up to that type of road speed. A blowout would have the potential of disaterous consequences.
Hower the laws of natural selection will kick in and the smartest of the species will survive.

The tires for my ZX 12 were a Z rating which is only good for 250KPH and the bike did 300KPH. Limits will always be pushed.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:04 pm 

My Ride: 2007CanAm 500XT MAX
OUTLANDERBOYZZ wrote:
You guys are right, its that dreaded learning curve that we go threw, its like deer in rutting season i guess. Let just be happy that nothing happened to us during our excursions. Just a thought, would an atv being hit head on by a UTV be like a volks wagon beetle hitting a tractor trailer? :pissed:
Don't get me wrong, i love ripping down a straight trail but 70 mph!!! Man, thats hiway speeds... :crazy:

Forgive me Bob , I'm not trying to be rude , but your signature shows you have a 650 outty, a few of my friends have that machine and it halls a%$* pretty good. I'm sure people running 400's are probably wondering why anyone needs that kinda of power also. I agree with the fact that they will sell any machine to anyone for the right money , but it is our right to be able to purchase that if we wish. Personally I'm like most people , I try the speed once or twice and that fulfils my itch. I must admit I love watching someone who can handle the power , and using it properly but more often I see wanna bees . I use to be a speed freak on the sleds , you get a little older , a little wiser and hope everyone else does to

Trapper cargo box / heated handgrips
Kolpin Gas Can
Garmin Oregon 450 GPS

Life is short ,Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:52 pm 

My Ride: 07 Rincon, 07 TRX420
Years ago the 3 wheelers started at 70 to 125cc, a few years later there were 350s and folks began dying in big numbers, government stepped in - end of the trikes. Fun wise I like to go fast and at time surpass my abilities. Trail wise I'm becoming pissed off with the 800 plus cc machines tearing up the trails, sitting in mudholes flinging soil eveywhere. It costs way too much money and time to restore trails made impassible by these activities, these 30" tires dig ruts too deep for someone with stock rubber to get through, they just bottom out once the 25" tires can't find bottom (yes I run 26"s).

I posted about my test drive in the new Arctic Cat Wildcat - I loved it but really this is a machine better suited to run the Baja race and sand dunes than riding Ontario trails. Before the test drive we were told to leave it in 4wd because it was so difficult to keep it from digging holes in 2wd. Now that 1000cc is available the 1100 and 1200s will soon follow - where will it end 2 Litre.

Perhaps this time manufactures should start regulating themselves before the government steps in. The Ontario "Stunt Driving" law has affected how I drive on the roads, will something ultimately be required on trails?

TWO 06 TRX250EXs (red)...........Tusk nerf bars, one with White Brothers skid plate, AC Racing swing arm skid plate
85 TRX125 (red)......................1 7/8" chrome trailer ball

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:50 am 

My Ride: 2013 Polaris RZR
I had a 400 can am now I have a 650 mud pro and I love it...the governor is set at 80 klm’s and I think that’s fast enough and I have zero problems keeping up with anyone. When I go into mud holes I find it better than most bikes, trails or steep climbs up hills is also great, all around I love the speed, power, and ability of this bike,

I think they need to stop at 1000 and go no higher but the manufactures will keep going till people start killing themselves when an untrained rich person goes in and buys a 1000 because they have the money for them. And yes they can also kill themselves with a 400 but it needs to stop somewhere and I think a 1000 is high enough.

The government will step in and you will see no one under 16 be able to ride and that’s what happened here in NS where the rules are much stricter.

My 2 cents.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:56 pm 

My Ride: 2010 outty max
i hit 111km on my 800 sportsman then the belt disintegrated and took out the clutch housing....

since then i'll had and seen ball joints snap on trail, wheels sheer off...A Arm failures etc etc.. and i really dont fancy any of them happening at silly speeds...

2010 500ish Outlander XTP....The Black Pearl...wifes race bike. FFS Custom Built with Turners Performance loving.

2xhawkeyes...kids bikes..modded...YUP!!!

FFS Racing
http://www.fixnfabshop.ca/

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:26 pm 

My Ride: 07 Rincon, 07 TRX420
English wrote:
i hit 111km on my 800 sportsman then the belt disintegrated and took out the clutch housing....

since then i'll had and seen ball joints snap on trail, wheels sheer off...A Arm failures etc etc.. and i really dont fancy any of them happening at silly speeds...

Oh, the woes of driving a Polaris :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TWO 06 TRX250EXs (red)...........Tusk nerf bars, one with White Brothers skid plate, AC Racing swing arm skid plate
85 TRX125 (red)......................1 7/8" chrome trailer ball

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:39 am 

Location: Niagara Falls baby!!!!, probably pulling out a honda BTW hahaha
Keep in mind that there are many places to ride these fast machines besides tight winding trails in the woods on Ontario, think for a second about the guys that live around the sand dunes that are extremely wide opened as far as you can see and there is plenty of room to open them at these high speeds.

Another thing to think about is the rider/drivers responsibility to not drive 100 miles per hour on a winding trail that could have a young family putting along in the opposite direction. I have been yelled at a couple times playing catch up on some logging roads in the Kearney area when I get close to other riders, and even though I slow down when I see them in my sights, I have still gotent an evil eye or even a "SLOW DOWN" from the odd person.

So one way to look at it is there is a place for all that speed, the other way to look at it is that people need to be considerate of others on the same trails, and for Gods sake, please ride within your limitations, no one is immortal!

And if they had a 1200cc Sportsman, I would be all over it :)

04.5 500HO, RDC Lift Kit, Gorillas up front, Turners in the rear, RDC Aluminum Gas Cap and Overflow cap, RDC Bar Ends, RDC Throttle cover, HSP motor job, HSP Full Exhaust, QSC Clutch Kit, 29.5's on RDC Aluminum Swamp Lox, Rad racked, snork'd, goes real fast in the bog pit with around 46 HP!!!

http://www.rubberdowncustoms.ca
rubberdowncustoms@yahoo.ca
(905) 356-9181

Come see us on Face Book

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=50770347379&v=photos&ref=ts#!/group.php?gid=50770347379&v=wall&ref=ts

Unread postPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:15 pm 

My Ride: 2012 rzr 900 xp
OUTLANDERBOYZZ wrote:
Watched Dirtrax the other day, the UTV was 1000cc. Prowler. The guy driving this thing says he let off the throttle at 72 MPH because he was getting scared and there was even more throttle left over. You tell me, do we need a UTV or ATV that does this kind of speed and if you think you do then where in the hell would you use this speed??? This is what gives ATV's a bad name when someone gets hurt due to excessive speed. Imagine if that was you going down a trail and UTV or ATV comes at you at that speed. :ohfuck:
I say that its just wrong.

Cars now adays will go in excess of 130 miles an hour and not many people will drive at these speeds. Same thing with a side by side or atv , most have commonsence. I realize there is always one idiot out there and that is what gives utvs & atvs a bad name not the machine itself. Just my 2 cents!