2koolperformance 5pointcottage burgerworld northbayatvclub 2koolperformance 5pointcottage
Quaddealers
News and Announcements
Mudhole Links
Mudhole.ca is for sale!!
Contact Larry via email at admin@mudhole.ca for info!!

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:04 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 am 

My Ride: 2009 800Polaris tour
Hi, I have reliable information that Goderich, ON has posted signs indicating SXS bikes are welcome through town and at trail heads. I heard from a resident they have even passed a by-law that reinforces this, although I know that can't trump provincial laws, to me that means they have approval of town council, and likely the local police too, otherwise, the signs wouldn't go up.

Is there any chance any of us are aware of this in Goderich, or anywhere else for that matter?

I would do almost anything for a clear photograph or two of the sign that we could use to persuade our local council to follow suit, can anyone help with that?

I anxiously await hearing something interesting on this, hopefully one of you has something!
Regards,
Adam

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 pm 

My Ride: Garage is empty
kco4242 wrote:
Hi, I have reliable information that Goderich, ON has posted signs indicating SXS bikes are welcome through town and at trail heads. I heard from a resident they have even passed a by-law that reinforces this, although I know that can't trump provincial laws, to me that means they have approval of town council, and likely the local police too, otherwise, the signs wouldn't go up.

Is there any chance any of us are aware of this in Goderich, or anywhere else for that matter?

I would do almost anything for a clear photograph or two of the sign that we could use to persuade our local council to follow suit, can anyone help with that?

I anxiously await hearing something interesting on this, hopefully one of you has something!
Regards,
Adam

We had a discussion of this last week, as it turns out the MTO people gave a presentation at the OFATV AGM and said that a few other communities had also "tried" this and quickly got a letter reminding them that MTO and Provincial laws supersede whatever a municipality "may want." The MTO reminded these other towns that the OPP will still lay charges and enforce the law on the books. I heard these other towns removed the postings and are now adhering to the provincial laws.

Even if you read the ORVA, (Off Road Vehicle Act), it clearly states that a municipality can not pass a bylaw which counters the ORVA or HTA, (Highway Traffic Act).

So I would be very careful as the OPP may still charge. Personally if I had one I wouldn't be riding it on any road, the MTO indicated that SxS's will likely never be permitted on Ontario roads, as their width is an issue as well as the manufacturers are not providing and doing required safety testing on asphalt surfaces. (which is likely on the advice of their lawyers, because if they say they are "safe" for road use and someone gets killed or seriously injured they would be open to litigation.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 am 

My Ride: 2009 800Polaris tour
Thanks for the response, that's pretty much exactly what I expected. Daddy knows best, and the fact that it's legal in most of Quebec and other jurisdictions means absolutely nothing, and the fact that it's holding back tourism in many struggling area's of Ontario means even less, in fact it seems sometimes that they deliberately try to hurt local tourism through harassment of people doing nothing wrong.

Adam

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:56 am 

My Ride: Honda @ Can Am
it might not make it legal, but its still a step in the right direction. every town that openly accepts them means that many more voters to help sway public opinion... one town at a time....

2007 Honda Rubicon CTE
2010 Can Am Outlander 800R XT